The Sacramento Comedy Festival is an annual event featuring stand-up, podcasts, improv, sketch comedy shows, and comedy variety shows. The 2014 Sacramento Comedy Festival will be held September 12-20, 2014. Click here to apply The fee to apply is $25.00.
Submissions for stand-up comedians are closed. We are still accepting applications through July 1, 2014 for sketch comedy and improv groups. Final invitations to participate for stand-up comedians will be sent by July 1, 2014. Final invitations to participate for sketch and improv groups will be sent by July 7, 2014.
The 2014 Sacramento Comedy Festival will feature a competition in three categories: Stand-up, Improv, and Sketch Comedy. We will be awarding a $1000 cash prize to each of the categories. Participants in the stand-up and improv categories will be performing in a tournament. Sketch participants will perform once during the Festival. All three competitions will be judged by industry professionals.
Stand-up Competition Rules (Updated May 15, 2014)
The Stand-up Competition during the 2014 Sacramento Comedy Festival will feature up to 40 stand-up comedians from around the United States. The competition will be judged by a panel of 3 independent industry professionals. The winner of the competition will be awarded $1000.00.
- This is a tournament style competition with a preliminary round, semi-final round, and a final round.
- Comedians are scored based on three categories: Audience Reaction, Stage Presence, and Originality.
- Comedians will do 5 minutes of material in the preliminary round.
- If a comedian advances to the semi-final round they must do 5 minutes of material different from the material in the preliminary round.
- Comedians can do whatever material they choose if they advance to the final round.
- Comedians who “run the light” will be deducted Stage Presence points.
- Comedians who do not advance to the semi-finals will perform in at least one other show during the Festival.
- Comedians are responsible for their own travel expenses.